Mr Pablo Martinez-Devesa
Mr Martinez-Devesa qualified in Medicine and Surgery in 1993. From 1997 trained in ENT Surgery in London, Cambridge and Oxford with added subspecialist training in Europe and USA and was appointed as a Consultant Otolaryngologist, Head and Neck Surgeon in The John Radcliffe Hospital, Oxford in 2007.
Since 2010 he sub-specialised in Advanced Rhinology and Skull Base Surgery and is one of the founders and core member of the Multidisciplinary team in Oxford. He is also a core member of the Paediatric Craniofacial, Craniofacial Trauma and Rhino-Orbital teams, working closely with several specialties.
At national level, Mr Martinez-Devesa is also a core member of the UK Necrotising Otitis Externa group (UK-NOE), providing advice in the management of this rare and severe form of invasive ear infections.
Having performed over 8,000 ENT surgical procedures, he has extensive experience in all general aspects of ENT both in adults and children, as well as more specialised areas detailed below:
He has a specialist interest in the medical and surgical treatment (over 4,000 nasal and sinus procedures performed) of all Rhinological diseases, including rhinitis and allergy, treatment of epistaxis (nosebleeds), surgery for nasal obstruction, all types of Endoscopic Sinus Surgery, including Image Guided FESS and Balloon Sinuplasty for chronic sinus infections.
He has treated surgically circa 1,000 cases of more complex Sinus and Anterior Skull Base Disease, with the use of intraoperative Image Guidance Navigation System for revision and complex Endoscopic Frontal Sinus Surgery - Modified Lothrop / Draf 3, Endonasal Surgery for the treatment of Epiphora (watery eye) and Vidian Neurectomy for the treatment of Vasomotor Rhinitis (watery nose), Endoscopic Orbital Decompression for Thyroid Eye Disease, Endoscopic Resection and Repair of Anterior Skull Base Tumours and defects (Chondrosarcomas, Chordomas, Meningiomas, Osteomas, CSF leaks, Encephaloceles) and in the use of various external surgical approaches for the treatment of Tumours in the Sinuses and Skull Base, such as Lateral Rhinotomy and Midfacial Degloving.
Before acquiring specialist training in Rhinology and Anterior Skull Base Surgery, Mr Martinez-Devesa trained as an Otological Surgeon and he has a broad experience in the management of acute and chronic ear disease, in particular childhood hearing problems.
He has performed close to 2,000 otological operations (Major Otological procedures - Mastoid surgery, Tympanoplasty, Ossiculoplasty) for hearing loss, ear infections and cholesteatoma in children and adults, including LASER assisted surgery and Oto-Endoscopic techniques.
He also has extensive experience in the treatment of Meniere’s disease, Vertigo and Tinnitus.
Nose and Anterior Skull Base
- Functional Endoscopic Sinus Surgery with Image Guidance
- Endoscopic Balloon Sinus Dilation (Sinuplasty)
- Surgery for Nasal Obstruction: Septoplasty and Turbinoplasty
- Treatment of Epistaxis (Nosebleeds)
- Medical and surgical Treatment of Rhinitis including Vidian Neurectomy
- Image Guided Surgery to Frontal (Draf or Modified Lothrop) and Sphenoid Surgery
- Anterior Skull Base Surgery for Treatment of CSF leak repair and tumours
- Orbital Decompression Surgery
- Treatment of ear Infections
- Investigation and Treatment of Hearing loss and Tinnitus
- Tympanoplasty / Surgery to repair Tympanic Membrane Perforation
- Mastoid Surgery for Chronic Ear Infections / Cholesteatoma
- Medical and Surgical Treatment of Vertigo / Meniere's
Paediatric and General ENT
- Adult and Paediatric Tonsillectomy
- Insertion of Ventilation Tubes (Grommets)
- Laryngoscopy Investigation and Treatment of disorders of the Larynx and Throat (vocal cord nodules, cysts, tumours, swallowing problems)
- Investigation and Treatment of Neck lumps
Outdoor sports activities, mountain bike, tennis and golf.
Sailing – Spanish qualifications for sailing instructor and Coastal Skipper.
- Microsuction / dewaxing of ear canal
- Pure tone audiogram
- Impedance audiogram (tympanometry)
- Grommet insertion
- Ear drum repair (Myringoplasty and Tympanoplasty)
- Mastoid surgery for Cholesteatoma
- Middle ear hearing reconstruction surgery (Ossiculoplasty)
- Epley manoeuvre
- Treatment for Dizziness and Meniere’s disease
- NOSE & SINUSES
- Allergy testing
- CT and MRI scans
- Endoscopy of nasal cavity / sinuses
- Cautery of Nasal septum
- Nasal polypectomy
- Functional Endoscopic Sinus Surgery (FESS)
- Balloon Sinuplasty
- Image Guided Endoscopic Sinus Surgery
- Frontal Sinus Drainage (Modified Lothrop / Draf procedure)
- Vidian neurectomy
- Orbital decompression
- Anterior Skull Base Surgery for cranial CSF leak and tumour resection
- Endoscopy of Pharynx and Larynx
- Head and neck surgery
- Surgery to the larynx / vocal cords
- Treatment of neck lumps
- Barium Swallow
- Ultrasound of Neck
Mr Martinez-Devesa has over 50 publications in peer review journals covering all aspects of Otolaryngology.
In rhinology he has conducted research in the medical treatment of nasal polyps, the use of antifibrinolytic agents for the treatment of epistaxis and the need and type of packing after nasal surgery. He has also studied the anatomical aspects of the frontal sinuses and the implications for surgery in this area.
In the field of Otology, he has researched into the pathophysiology of chronic otitis externa, in particular the changes (and restoration) of external ear canal skin pH that affects the chronicity of this condition. He has also researched into and contributed to the UK Necrotising Otitis Externa group, dedicated to the management of these severe, invasive otitis externa infection.
Mr Martinez-Devesa has also conducted research in the effectiveness of Cognitive Behavioural Therapy for the treatment for tinnitus.
He has published and lectured in the UK and Internationally about various topics, mainly related to Diseases of the Nose, Sinuses and Skull Base, such as the outcomes of surgical approaches for resection of Skull Base tumours and changes in the Quality of Life (physical, emotional and social aspects) of patients treated for malignant tumours of this area.
Mr Martinez-Devesa has contributed to various book chapters in ENT and Anterior Skull Base Surgery and is also a co-author of the Oxford Specialist Handbooks in Surgery: Otolaryngology and Head and Neck Surgery: a reference book for Specialty Trainees during their training and career in ENT.
- British Association of Otorhinolaryngology, Head and Neck Surgery (ENT-UK)
- British Rhinological Society
- British Society of Otology
- Fellow of the Royal College of Surgeons of Edinburgh
- Adult and Paediatric ENT Consultant, John Radcliffe Hospital, Oxford
- Core Member of the Oxford Skull Base, Rhino-Orbital and CranioFacial Trauma teams
- Core member of the UK Necrotising Otitis Externa group (UK-NOE)